Whoever said nothing in life is free? If you’re looking to experience Telluride this winter without skis, here are 10 FREE things to do in town – It will help your wallet stay happy!
10 FREE THINGS
- Gondola Ride – The only transportation of its kind in North American, catch a ride on the free Gondola that connects the towns of Telluride and Mountain Village. Open 275 days per year from 7am to Midnight, this scenic ride is a must do. The short, 13 minute ride will leave you speechless as you’re surrounded by 13,000 foot peaks. Don’t forget your camera!
- Ice Skating – If you bring your own gear… check out the frozen pond by Bootdoctor’s in the core of Mountain Village. Kids 5 years and younger skate for free! In no time you’ll be skating like Oksana Baiul! There is also an outdoor rink at the Telluride Town Park!
- River Trail – Located in the town of Telluride, the River Trail is a popular path for both locals and tourists trying to take the scenic route. Stretching along the San Miguel River, this is a beautiful trail that connects the East and West ends of town.
- Wilkinson Public Library – You will spend ALL day once you enter the doors of this award winning library. This is a great way to rent books, magazines, DVD’s, CD’s, and more (like snowshoes!) for your vacation. Also, use the FREE internet to change your flights (because you’ll never want to leave T-ride).
- Nordic Skiing – If you bring your own gear… take advantage of this large Nordic course that weaves through the protected land of the Valley Floor. Located on the west end of town, this is a great exercise to get the leg’s burnin’ and the heart pumpin’ in a beautiful valley setting. There is also terrain at Telluride Town Park, or you can also head up to nordic ski areas at Priest Lake and Trout Lake further up towards Lizard Head Pass.
- Snowshoeing – If you bring your own gear or check out snowshoes at the Wilkinson Public Library… there are endless spots to snowshoe in Telluride if you’ve got the gear. A popular spot to snowshoe is Bear Creek Trail located on the east end of town. Check out the beautiful nature and backcountry ski terrain. Another great spot, the River Trail (#3).
- Town Loop Bus – Take a ride on the free transportation provided by the Town of Telluride. This bus will circle around downtown Telluride (7am-Midnight) stopping at various spots to access restaurants, Post Office, and numerous lodging facilities. Catch the Galloping Goose every 10 minutes during the day and every 20 minutes at night! If you are lucky, the famous Busdriver Jim (formerly known as Postman Jim) will be your chauffeur!
- Wildlife Viewing – It would be extremely rare to vacation in Telluride and not see any wildlife. While you’re driving into town, check out the wild elk herds that feed and rest on the Valley Floor.
- Sledding –Telluride Town Park or by Chair #7 are great places to sled after the slopes have closed for the day. Fun for the entire family!
- Free Box – A “Telluride Tradition” located right off Main Street, the name says it all. The Free Box is a place to exchange clothes, small trinkets, books, and many other trash or treasures. Be sure to swing by the Free Box and see what you can find!
You can also check out or THINGS TO DO page for more not-so-free ideas!